This is a simple kid friendly healthy summer pasta that’s done in 30 minutes! Its a great weeknight meal that everyone will love. The flavor from the basil and lemon lights up this dish and all the colorful roasted veggies leaves you feeling full and satisfied in the best way possible! Ingredients 1 lb. of whole wheat penne pasta Basil Pesto 2 zucchini, sliced 2 yellow squash, sliced 1 red onion, cut into 1" cubes 15-20 mini bell peppers (assorted peppers), tops cut off 2 tablespoons of olive 1 teaspoon of salt ½ teaspoon of ground pepper lemon zest as needed * can add chicken as an option Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place zucchini, squash, red onion, and mini bell peppers on baking sheet. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions.
- Drain pasta when done and reserve ½ cup of cooking liquid.
- In a large bowl add cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, basil pesto, and ½ cup of reserved cooking liquid. Toss to coat.
- Serve. Top with additional parmesan cheese if desired.